Lucas “Luke” Hatzis is a partner with Capitol Counsel, LLC. Hatzis brings to clients nearly a decade of congressional experience serving senior members of the House Republican Caucus, with an emphasis on health care policy and the legislative process. Both on and off the Hill, Hatzis has worked with senior Ways and Means and Energy and Commerce staff to advance legislation. He has also worked for several Illinois campaigns, including the Illinois Victory Program and the 2008 14th District Special Election.
- Aurora University – B.A., with honors
- Office of Chief Deputy Whip Peter Roskam (R-IL), Washington, D.C. – Legislative Director. Focused on the congressman’s Ways and Means Health Subcommittee agenda, and was instrumental in advancing Chief Deputy Whip Roskam’s legislative priorities while working closely with House leadership regarding ongoing initiatives and future policy options.
- Office of House Committee on Rules Ranking Member David Dreier (R-CA), Washington, D.C. – Clerk. Offered a unique perspective on the workings of the House legislative process.
- House Republican Conference, Washington, D.C. – Legislative staffer and writer for the Legislative Digest, a daily legislative analysis tool used by congressional staffers. Analyzed pending legislation due for House floor consideration and acted as a liaison during floor procedures.
- Office of House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL), Washington, D. C. – Floor Assistant to the Speaker. Provided daily floor action reports to the Speaker and White House staff, and conducted extensive research on voting, parliamentary, and legislative histories.
Hatzis worked with stakeholder groups and patient communities to help provide better, more-timely access to dialysis treatment. He also helped to pass the Taking Essential Steps for Testing (TEST) Act of 2012 which gives the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services greater flexibility in addressing errors and requires proficiency testing (comparison of results obtained by different laboratories).