Shannon Finley is a founding partner of Capitol Counsel, LLC. She brings to the firm over two decades of experience in politics and strategy in Washington, D.C. Finley is known for her strategic counsel on issues ranging from tax to health and politics. Her client base cuts across industries and includes key trade associations, Fortune 100 corporations, non-profits and issue-based coalitions.
- California State University, Chico – B.A.
- Senator Max Baucus (D-MT), Washington, D.C. – Senior adviser and political consultant for eight years. Served as National Finance Director to the Baucus 2002 re-election campaign and as director of his political action committee. As political director, Finley managed fundraising operations and events, provided counsel, and directed national outreach.
- Campaign for Texas Land Commissioner Garry Mauro in his 1998 bid for governor, Austin, TX – National Finance Director
- Democratic National Committee, Washington, D.C. – Saxophone Club Director
- The American Indian College Fund, Washington, D.C. – Executive Director and Deputy Director. A national non-profit that raises scholarships for students attending tribally-controlled colleges.
- Coleman and Christison, San Francisco, CA – Consultant. Provided management services, including training seminars, to a client base of more than 200 charitable organizations.
- Named one of the Top Lobbyists by The Hill in their annual list from 2014 – present.
- Max S. Baucus Institute – National Advisory Board
- Moderate Democrats Political Action Committee, “ModSquad”- Co-founder. A PAC whose mission is to support moderate Democratic incumbents and candidates to the Senate.
- American Heart Association “Heart’s Delight” Annual Auction – Executive Committee Member
- Big Sky Nite Committee – Chairwoman
- Corcoran Gallery of Art and School of Art and Design – Board of Trustees
- Capital Area REACH – Founder and former Board Member
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation – National Selection Committee Member
- Americans for Indian Opportunity (a W.K. Kellogg Foundation program) – Participant in the 1995 Class of Ambassadors leadership program.
- Engage: Promoting Women’s Economic Security – Board Member
Finley has led numerous successful legislative campaigns on behalf of clients that have frequently resulted in landmark legislation. Finley’s ability to influence the legislative process led to the creation of a tax on tanning beds to protect against deadly skin cancers which offset funding for affordable health insurance. Finley is equally adept at running diverse coalitions, as evidenced by a recent successful campaign to marshal patient and provider groups to oppose changes to Medicare Part B drug reimbursement.